Friday, April 28, 2006

Freedom

Michael talked about some freedoms in relation to the American Dream that we all share. It reminded of thoughts that I haven't been able to get out of my head all day about something I heard on tv last night and again on the news this morning. They were talking about the political unrest and danger in Africa. I know that this is nothing new, but for some reason hearing it today really stuck with me. I'll admit that I'm not real into politics, so I don't know tons of details, but hearing stories of what is happening to these people is saddening. The one line that keeps sticking in my head is that in doing daily tasks, such as going to get water, the families have to decide who is going to go, because very likely the man will get killed or the woman will get raped. I can't even imagine living a life like that. The other thing that caught my attention was that these people can't think past tomorrow. When asked about next year, or even next week, they say they are just thinking about tomorrow and hoping that they make it until then. I am looking to a year and a half from now of being done with school, and that's nothing to me. I think in terms of months and semesters, rarely doubting that I'll be around tomorrow. Michael is going to be gone all summer, and I don't fear for my life. I go pretty much wherever I want to go without thinking too much on the safety of it.

So, I think that this is another freedom that we have in America. I know that there are plenty of places in America that are unsafe, and maybe I need to open my eyes to them, but we do not face anything like so many others outside of America face.

Comments:
Wow!!! you posted!!! I almost had to take your link off my site for inactivity.
 
Good post! I just now checked it... I'll keep checking. You keep posting. :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]